Sunday, August 31, 2008

Some expectations

T: -6 Days

Having never been to Europe, or England, I'm sure I'm quite misguided in what to expect, so I thought it might be kind of funny to write down some of my expectations here, and then see how wrong I am.

  • Everyone in England has a fantastic (and hot) British accent
  • It rains at least half the days
  • The rain is mostly a drizzle
  • Thunderstorms are fairly non-existant
  • Despite the rain, almost no one uses an umbrella
  • Americans are not popular
  • There are fewer cars than in American cities
  • Double-decker buses
  • At least some cobbled streets
  • "British humor"
  • Breakfast is a bigger deal, dinner less so
  • Fewer people at church play piano
  • The church buildings there are architecturally different than buildings here
  • Everyone drinks tea
  • Less hamburgers
  • Fewer jeans (are jeans an American thing?)
  • Less severely obese people
  • More Beatles-esque music (ie: less hard rock/rap/punk)
  • More international films
  • More controversial films
  • More boarding schools
  • Smaller houses, or maybe flats
  • Soccer is a bigger deal
  • Pizza is not a staple of the diet
  • Nightclubs
  • Pubs
  • Fish and chips, sold by men on the street
  • More traditional school systems
  • Fewer people go to college
  • Lots of going out to socialize and hang out
  • More girls with short hair / guys with longer hair (not buzzed)
  • Open markets
  • Rolling countryside with stonewalls and sheep
  • More TV shows, fewer movies
  • Everyone drinks tea
I'm not really sure what to expect... I can't decide if it's going to be more or less different than I expect. I mean, it's still a western country, with the same language, and we have many of the same traditions and such, so maybe it won't be that different... I'll just have to see.

No comments: